Oak smoked Peppered Mackerel Salad with Blackcurrant Syrup and Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil Dressing
Ingredients for two people:
- Two fillets of smoke mackerel
- One medium sized plum tomato
- Half a medium sized red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- Ten or so radishes, topped, tailed and sliced finely.
- A similar number of green olives
- A handful of pomegranate seeds (about half a cup)
- Two boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- Half a yellow bell pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- A small red chilli sliced finely
- Blackcurrant or any other sweet/sour/fruity syrup. Blackberry, pomegranate or cranberry would be good examples. I make my syrup with the blackcurrants plus a sweetener usually either honey or maple syrup. Adjust to your taste. I like it quite sour. Once cleaned and de-stalked I cook them in a saucepan until the liquid reduces. I then strain the liquid to make a clear syrup. I love this for salad dressings or with pancakes, breakfast cereal, ice cream etc.
- Toasted pumpkin seed oil.
- Wash and prepare all the fruit and vegetables.
- Break the leaves off the lettuce and place in a serving dish.
- Add the sliced tomatoes,bell pepper, radish and olives.
- Toss and then top with the sliced onions. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and chopped chilli.
- Finally remove the skin from the fish, break it up into largish chunks and place on top of the salad along with the egg quarters.
- Serve the salad and then trickle with the dressing.
I love the combination of the salty/peppery fish with the cool crunchy radish and lettuce, the heat of chilli and sweet/sour nutty flavoured dressing. This works perfectly for me in the same way that sweet sour plum sauce works with unctuous duck but you may like to use and alternative dressing.
n.b. COOKS NOTE...I had a mini blackcurrant syrup eruption after a bottle that I stored in a slightly warm cupboard exploded! I think it must have fermented. It's best kept in the fridge...
Bye for now,
Post a Comment